GGJ 2018 : Beginning


The development of our game actually began during the Global Game Jam 2018. The theme for this particular jam was "transmission." We participated in the jam with a determination to approach it the way we would any other project and to figure out what we would like to experiment with.

          Before we even considered the theme, we made a list of mechanics that we had never worked with and wanted to try:

  • Single –player physical game (mostly due to time constraints and our unfortunate lack of knowledge and skills related to digital game making)
  • Heavily narrative- based
  • Puzzle- solving

            After that, we started throwing around the names of different modes of transmissions till we decided on: letters, voice recordings, audio recordings, phone calls, and photographs as modes that we would like to consider. We thought about how they would allow us to play around with different tones of voice, inflection, visual aesthetics and the different nuances of a person’s character and daily life.

          From there, we worked on sketching out this “person” that we were talking about, who he/she is, what he/she does, and played around with the idea of multiple personalities.

         The first step in our process after having a basic idea of who our protagonist was, was to make a flowchart with simple cue cards that told us the order in which these cards appeared along with what other cards they led to. The cards were very rudimentary - they had basic themes and information (mostly flavour text) on what personality it was, as well as what medium they were using.

        Following this, we began to flesh out our narrative for each individual cue card. The idea of using memories and memories alone to make and form the game world was a challenge in and of itself. Not only did we need to ensure they were cryptic, they also had to make sense. But, more importantly, each of the logs had to show a recorded part of the protagonist's life and how they were living with these multiple personalities in an almost mundane, everyday setting.  

        The result of this was that each card ended up being very cryptic and completely disjointed from any cards it led to. Instead of rethinking the entire narrative from scratch, we re-looked at our end goal and start goal. In order to ensure that the cards didn't seem disjointed, we simply adjusted the content of the text just enough that it didn't seem disjointed by focusing on the overall narrative. Side by side, we began to make symbols for each of these cards, putting two and two together.    The art style for this prototype was inspired by and very fundamentally emulated the art on tarot card decks. The focus was on one particular shape or form that set the tone for that card. 

       Upon finding time to further include audio and video logs, we recorded the remainder of the narrative and pieced the different parts of the game we made, until we landed on our first basic prototype: a multi- media game based on the different memories of a person with dissociative identity disorder (DID) that leaves the player haunted and entirely confused. 

Leave a comment

Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.